Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Shove Me Into The Fire- Track 1 on Songstress


We are all naturally blind to this darkness.  We can't see the things that need to change in our hearts and in the hearts of others, only God can.  That is why He and only He is the refiner of our hearts.

                                                                              Photo from http://pixabay.com, Words added.

As we grow up, from being a child to an adult, our eyes begin to open.  Not physically, but spiritually and mentally.  We begin to see things that we missed in adolescence. These truths become known to us through experience and observation.  Not at once, but gradually.

When I wrote this song, I had just been re-awoken to the reality of Jesus.  I saw truths that had been hidden from me and I saw that I had so much more to learn.  From this realization sprung a deep desire to see more.  To no longer push aside the reality that this is a fallen world that desperately needs a Savior.

A plea:

This song is a plea to be awoken to the truths that are hidden in the jumble of this world.  The same plea that many people cried out when they saw injustice and slavery.  The same plea that cries out  for a voice for the voiceless.

God uses many things in this world to refine us and open our eyes to these hidden truths.  Each person is different and prepared in their own special way by Him.  For some it is going to the mission field and feeling the call to make that a life long commitment.  For others it is experiencing a death in the family and learning that every day is precious.

For me, it was spending many years struggling with depression and my own health issues to be awoken to the reality that Jesus gives us life and life abundantly.

Every time we refuse to lie to ourselves and choose to face the reality of this world, our hearts begin to grow and we become closer to who He desires us to be.

The struggle:

But this isn't easy.  This graphic image of being shoved into the fire is just as it sounds... painful.

But God uses each struggle to open our hearts to Himself more, because He is the one who is quenching the cry within our hearts, when nothing else is left to satisfy that cry.  He is the one who shows us what we cannot see for ourselves.

It takes time and energy, but it is worth every minute of the process.

I wrote this song more than four years ago, but I still return to it and continue to pray that God would shove me into His refining fire. Not because it is fun, but because I have seen wonderful things happen in my heart because of that fire.

So I urge you all to pray that God would shove you into the fire so that you too may experience Him more fully.

He will never stop refining us as we walk this journey through this crazy world... never!

Too long have I hidden my face from all I could see.
Too long have I dwelt in a blind society.
I can't see the darkness inside my soul.
I long to be made whole.

*Shove me into the fire: so that I can be made complete
Shove me into the fire: so I can be your hands and feet
Help me know what to learn, deep inside me is a fire that longs to burn
Refine me in Your holy flame.  Make me feel more real everyday.

Now that I've awoken to this shadow world that I'm in.
I see so much missing, oh, I pray You would begin.
For I can't see the darkness inside my soul.
I long to be made whole.
(Go to *)

Only You can shape my heart, my love, my Lord.
Only You can take me apart and put me back together again.
(Go to *)

What are some of the ways God has shoved you into the fire?  How has your heart grown through these?  Comment in the comments below a few lessons that you have learned through these experiences. 


Whether you have just come out of or are in the middle of the fire, each of us have gone through times of refining... so you're not alone in this struggle.


Also, if you liked the verse above and want to read more about Gods refining fire, here are a few other verse to get you started: Isaiah 48:10-11, Daniel 11:35, Proverbs 17:3.


Thanks for reading and listening!  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment