Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Where's The Instruction Manual To Myself?

There was a TV show back in the 1980's called Greatest American Hero.  It was not a well known TV show, but I enjoyed it a lot when I was a kid.

The basic plot was that this school teacher received a super suit from some Aliens and he was suppose to use it to help the world.  But when he took the suit home, he discovered that he had lost the instruction manual to the super suit, which meant that he was going to have to figure out how to perform the super powers on his own.

Do you ever feel that way about yourself?  Like you have lost the instruction manual to yourself and the inner workings of your life?  You know, deep down inside you, that if you could just find that manual, then you would be able to use your life to do great things.  So where's the instruction manual?



I'm confusing, but so are you

Though I have not lived very long, I have realized over my small lifetime that I am confusing!  Just when I think I understand myself, that is precisely the time when I discover something else.

I have also discovered that life is equally as confusing.  So put both together and you can understand why a lot of people check into a mental hospital...  let's face it, we're all confusing, especially to ourselves.

Discovering yourself can be overwhelming

Instructions would be really nice, but sadly we don't come naturally with a step by step guide to ourselves. Far from it.  We instead go about our lives trying this and that and slowly discovering more about the person we are.

For instance, over the coarse of the last few months I have discovered that I have been lying to myself, that my life struggles have really been a classroom that has taught me a lot, and one of my newer discoveries is that I have SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder).  That's a lot of discoveries for that brief amount of time.  I am happy about finding these things out, but in the back of my mind I know that this is just the beginning.

I have tons of the things to discover about these new facets of me.  Finding out about SPD has been a freeing experience, but I still need to figure out ways to deal with this issue in my life; an issue that has been there for a lot longer than I knew.

Slowly, I have found that noise canceling headphones help me with my difficulties in restaurants.  Along with my Core Disk that allows me to fidget in my chair without being distracting to the other people around me.

There are tons more that I still have yet to discover.

The joy of the discovery

It would be so helpful to have an instruction manual, instead of wandering around in confusion, but, then again, there wouldn't gain as much if we did have a manual.

When we are able to discover something knew, without an instruction manual, there is a feeling of accomplishment.  Usually when we discover something about ourselves it is partially because we have finally reached the place where we are ready to understand that puzzle piece.

It is like we're fitting together a puzzle without the help of the box lid.  Often times we may pick up a piece that doesn't make sense now, but if we work on the other pieces for a little while eventually we figure out where that piece needs to go.

The confusion is removed because we see how it fits with the other pieces.

It is the same way with our lives.  You may be confused now about a piece of yourself, but just hold off on that piece for a little while.  Sooner or later that piece will make sense and you'll be able to fit it into the puzzle.  And if not, then perhaps that piece doesn't belong in your puzzle after all.

Our super suits didn't come with a manual, but that doesn't mean we can't be awesome!

""For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."" ~ Jeremiah 29:11

Jesus know's that we're confused about this thing called life, but don't be afraid, because He has everything in His hands.  It may not make sense now, but I know He will give you the strength to persevere in trying to understand and in the end do amazing things with your life.

I know He has been faithful in showing me where my puzzle pieces go and I know He will finish this puzzle in His timing.  My life is confusing, but I know He will take that confusion and make something awesome out of it.

Until then, lets try to enjoy the journey. Because, no matter what age you are, we are all on a journey of discovering ourselves and our place in this world.  We all need to focus on this journey and not on the destination alone.

You haven't lost your instruction manual, it's just still being written by you.

I am sorry if that last part is highlighted in white... blogger is acting strange and I can't fix it.

What about you? What are you discovering about yourself that you never knew before?  How do these discoveries make you feel?  Comment below about what you are excited to learn more about yourself.  Also feel free to post questions below, I will do my best to answer them. Thanks for reading and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment