Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Music Soothes the Savage Beast.

  I admit that there are times when I get in a bad mood and I just can't get out of it.  My outlook on life seems dark and gloomy, and I snap at everyone I come across.

I don't want to be like this nor do I desire to stay like this, but that attitude just sticks to me.


What do we do about soothing the savage beast?

  Everyone has their own way of dealing with the beast.  I deal with it by playing music.

  This week I have decided to play at least one instrument a day.  This may seem like a no brainer and an easy task, especially for a musician, but it is so easy to become wrapped up in the "work" side of being a musician and start forgetting the "enjoy" side.  Let me explain:

  Music gives me pleasure:

  Each time I play an instrument I feel instant enjoyment.  It is the kind of enjoyment that makes me feel like all is right in the world.  I really need this when I feel the savage beast coming on, because the best way to get rid of a bad mood is to not just simply cheer up, but to do something that gives you a sense of meaning.

  Music also helps me think: 

  Even though I am playing a piece of music, my mind wanders to the thoughts of my day.  To worries or truths that I didn't comprehend before.  I think better while I play music, not because I can't think elsewhere, but because music helps calm my mind down enough to allow me to think clearer.

  It soothes the savage beast inside and lulls it to sleep.

  Your way of soothing this "beast" probably is very different.  Maybe you feel better if you go off and read a book.  Maybe you soothe it by cleaning the house or taking a walk.  Maybe a shower is something that relaxes you and clears your head.

  I will make a note here that there are some wrong and some unhealthy ways of soothing the savage beast.  Those things are not truly helping, but hurting you, physically and emotionally.  However there are many things which we can do, that are good and healthy, that soothes this beast such as running or sitting out on the front stoop.  Watching a TV program or listening to some music on the radio. All very good and healthy ways to soothe the beast.

  Your way is unique, because you are unique, but one truth remains the same: 
  What ever it is, don't neglect to spend time doing it.

  We all need time to think and to calm ourselves because this world is a very hectic place.  If we don't take the time, we will never have the time.  I have chosen to play an instrument each day.  I made that choice and it is a choice that I have to consciously make everyday.  This time is not only good for my mood, but good for my spirit.

I feel more connected with Jesus after I have spent some time playing music.

  I feel His guidance more clearly and I am able to trust Him more with a situation after I have spent time playing an instrument.  Because when we are overwhelmed by anger and frustration that we can't let go of, we can't possibly be in a position to draw close to Him.

  Remember those cartoons where the mans becomes so angry that his face turns red and steam starts pouring out of his ears.  Can you possibly expect that man to be open to listening to anyone?  When the savage beast is rampant, we start turning into that sort of a person.  Sometimes it is better to just walk away and spend some time doing something that soothes that beast to sleep.

  So let me ask you:

  What is your way of soothing the savage beast?
  We all experience this, because we are all sinful and human. So how do you do it in your own unique way?

  And with that question in mind ask yourself this:
 Have I been making some time to do this?

  We all deal with this monster.  We all get grouchy and sometimes feel like throwing up our hands to the whole mess! But God gave each of us a particular way through which He soothes our savage beast so we can be more open to His leading.  This is a blessing and a wonderful gift from God!

Don't neglect taking some time to sooth the savage beast inside of you.

Have a question or a comment? Please write it below. I love hearing from my readers.

Like what you are reading and want to read more? Subscribe to my blog at the bottom of the page

No comments:

Post a Comment